Monday, October 22, 2007

Thing #2

The hardest habit for me to address in the lifelong learning process is viewing problems as challenges. As with many people, it is easy to quit or have someone else solve the problem for me when I have technology difficulties. Going a different path rather than addressing the problem is the easiest and causes the fewest headaches. It is also hard sometimes to get the
"teacher" to allow me to experiment and solve the problem on my own so that I may in fact accomplish my goal. Finding a patient teacher who is willing to let me make mistakes and correct them on my own with guidance is essential to achieving my technology goals.

The easiest habit for me and the one that enhances my own learning is to teach and mentor others. It is a fact that teaching a skill requires one to learn the skill. In teaching others, I find questions and answers that I had not even considered. I see myself in others as I witness their frustrations with new technology. In teaching I also learn from my students as they discover something new I had yet to find.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I totally agree with you about the teaching to others. Teaching a new skill I've learned just reinforces my own skills. It's great we are in the positions we are in so we can teach others all the time!