Thursday, November 8, 2007

Thing # 9

Wow, RSS and all of the feeds available are fantastic, but frankly very overwhelming.
It's very hard to decide which feeds to choose, which are best for one's needs and interests. We obviously can't possilby read them all. I'm sure the list of feeds chosen will change as our needs change.
I found the Google Blog Search the easiest to use. I guess this is because I am very famliar with Google. I added the MISD News links to my news feed. Feedster was not working any of the times I tried to access it. I really enjoyed Topix the best. I set it to Mesquite and now I can have up to the minute news on Mesquite. I added the Top Stories feed to my news list. I found Syndic8.com very overwhelming and confusing as a new blogger. I liked the way Technorati was set up with topic tabs at the top of the page. I think the most unusual bit of info I picked up on my journey through the feeds was under the "life" tab of Technorati. Chocolate laptop makes computing tasty!

As far as ussefulness for us as librarians,I found the School Library Blogs on Suprglu a good tool. We can keep up with what is going on all over the country in our field.

To sum up my experience with this execise,I would say blogging and understanding RSS and feeds is a definite work in progress. It will change constantly and require us as librarians to stay up on the latest news the best we can. As I said earlier, I am feeling rather overwhelmed at the moment, but hopefully as I play with this new technolgy my comfort zone is going to improve.

2 comments:

mmw said...

Love the chocolate laptop - YUM!

makingtheworldpretty said...

RSS was a little over my head and I had to look up several terms as I went through the tutorials. I need to come back later and absorb more about RSS.
(Sorry if I already posted this message. I tried before but it didn't show up.)