Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Crazy Time of Year


It's that crazy time of the school year again.Everyone is gearing up for TAKS and TPRI. The teachers are stressed over CSI and benchmarking. In the library we elementary librarians are getting ready for Bluebonnet voting and introducing the Mockingbird Books to younger grades. Everyone looks forward to the Mockingbirds. I am wondering how many students will be voting on the Bluebonnets.Normally most of my students in grades 3 - 6 get to vote because I make sure they hear at least 5 books. I 'm not sure if that is going to happen this year.  I have read 3- 4 books to most classes but is is very hard this year to do that as this group of Bluebonnets do not really lend themselves to being good read alouds.

 

We at Range are exploring the new Britannica database. The kids and teachers seem to really like the new features. Of course the students like the games but they are educational so everyone is happy. They are playing and learning at the same time and becoming very computer savvy which is very important in this day and age. I hope to have a night  event where I can show parents all the online library resources MISD has to offer.Time of course is the issue. It's hard enough to get time with teachers to instruct them on the newest technologies. I do this when classes come into the library for instruction on the laptops. This basically forces the teachers to learn the newest we have to offer in online resources.I hope that teachers will take this new knowledge back to the classroom  and let the students continue on with what they have learned in the library.

No comments: