Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Thing # 15

I personally do not think Wikis are something I would be interested in using. Wikis are not authoratative as people who contribute to them do not always have the correct facts or their entries are subjective. Wikis might be a starting place for research but certainly not the only place to gain information. A wiki might be used for a class project or some other collaborative project. I did like the idea of requiring an email to accompany all entries to a wiki so that the person could be contacted about the information submitted. I personally don't want people changing something that I have written. As libraries continue to move deeper into technology, wikis are inevitable in the library world, but I still think they should be taken for what they are; individuals putting in their 2 cents worth.

Well I put my wiki out on the web for teachers today. Will see if anyone responds!

3 comments:

Debbie said...

I see the wiki being used more for a collaborative effort like a book discussion between students. (or really any discussion) Students could remain anonymous to each other but feel free to give opinions and feelings about the book or whatever the topic is.

Bookmaid said...

I agree that using wikis for research is risky without verifying by another source. However, wikis used for sharing ideas could be useful. As you said, anyone can put in their two cents worth.

Bookmaid said...

I think I posted a comment somewhere else but meant for it to be here.
I was saying that I agree that wikis probably should not be used for research. However for sharing ideas they are useful. I publicized my wiki to teachers today, but no one immediately "jumped on the bandwagon". Its usefulness remains to be seen.