Thursday, January 17, 2008

Thing # 23

Wow, this has been the most confusing exercise I have done. I have always found copyright confusing.I used to think copyright was only violated if it was done for commercial purposes. Covering copyright in in-service at the beginning of the year has always been a chore. I would love to show the Disney video clip from this exercise to teachers.They would at least pay attention because it is entertaining. I had never heard of Creative Commons. I do believe I have a better grasp on copyright after going through this exercise. I think Creative Commons makes a lot of sense. I really don't know how movies, TV or any other publication could get made legally with out it these days. It makes me want to put some photos I have uploaded on Creative Commons. I think Creative Commons should be introduced to teachers now at the beginning of the year along with the regular copyright guidelines. As much as I have always disliked dealing with copyright issues, it certainly is not an issue that we as librarians can ignore especially in this explosive digital age of information sharing.

No comments: